Monday 8 September 2014

VFX Academy Awards



So the Academy Awards for best visual effects is upon us and we momentarily focus on the impressive work created by the many thankless visual effects artists around the world!
Not that my opinion matters, (Although I was the first to combine an After Effects Tutorial with MS Paint) but I started to think about the idea of giving an award for best VFX.  How do you choose? Luckily, I don’t have to.
Visual Effects is the art of problem solving. Every shot, every movie, every challenge is different.  I look at the body of work in this years academy awards and think, “every one of these movies did their job exactly right”. The visual effects all expanded the story, the world and created an impressive experience. Not to mention the films that were not nominated like Pacific Rim.
Was one movie more or less innovative than another? I don’t know. I do know that the end result does not always tell the story of what it takes to get there.
The film Gravity created some stunning work that has never been done before on that scale and pulled it off flawlessly. The set extensions in Lone Ranger were some of the best I’ve EVER seen.  And did you see the Star Trek into Darkness End Titles? AMAZING!  I mean… Well…
The point is this: I think every person on the post side of visual effects will probably be lost in the the controversy over wether or not Leonardo DiCaprio wins or loses.  But maybe we can all take a moment to talk about the great visual effects shots you remember from this past year! Leave a comment, maybe the artist who created it is reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment